Frequently Asked Questions – What Does My Diet Look Like After ESG?
DAY 1 – 3 POST PROCEDURE: CLEAR LIQUID DIET
- LENGTH OF TIME IS 3 DAYS: The day after the procedure and the next 2 days.
- Diluted fruit juices – 1 part juice and 4 parts water.
- NO diet juices, soda, or diet drinks. AVOID ALL!
FAKE INGREDIENTS = WEIGHT GAIN
- Drink 64 ounces/day of liquids, sip liquids throughout the day.
- Note: reaching this goal may be difficult, especially in the early post-procedure period. Do what you can, good hydration is our aim!
- Chicken and bone broth are great clear liquid options! Try and make your own.
DAY 4 – 31 POST PROCEDURE: FULL LIQUID DIET
- High protein smoothies (60 – 80 grams/day). Important to try and make your own!
- Examples of protein smoothies:
- Fresh organic fruits and vegetables blended with protein powder of your choice
- Protein powder options:
- Whey protein
- Casein protein
- Egg protein
- Pea protein
- Hemp protein
- Brown rice protein
- Mixed plant proteins
- Drink at least 64 ounces/day of liquids
MONTH 2 & ONWARD: PLANT-BASED WHOLE FOOD DIET
- Focus on eating whole foods
- Eat the whole fruit or vegetable (or blend in smoothie), don’t just drink the juice
- Avoid refined carbohydrates. Choose complex carbs i.e. those that include the whole grain
- Avoid all processed foods (a good general rule is anything that comes in a box or plastic package)
- Avoid added sugar, oil, artificial sweeteners
- Eat Mindfully – Focus on the meal in front of you and avoid distractions like TV. Chew thoroughly and finish each bite before starting another. Wait for feelings of satiety to arise before moving onto the next course or food item.
- If you are going to count something, count FIBER. Goal is at least 30 grams/day.
- Good fiber intake = fullness, gut health, weight loss!