- Dr. Watson is recognized nationally as a leader in bariatric endoscopy and is passionate about helping patients achieve and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- He was the first physician to perform the ESG procedure in Northern California and currently trains physicians from around the country on bariatric endoscopic procedures, including the ESG and endoscopic revision procedures.
- He was recruited to the Interventional Endoscopy Services team by Dr. Binmoeller to head the San Francisco Weight Loss Institute and to serve as the Director of Bariatric Endoscopy at California Pacific Medical Center in 2017
- Dr. Watson is both Board Certified in Gastroenterology and Obesity Medicine and is an Associate Professor of Medicine at University of California San Francisco
- He is active in the development and testing of novel endoscopic techniques and is a consultant to several industry leaders on endoscopic weight loss therapies for obesity, endoscopic treatment of weight re-gain following bariatric surgery, and treatments of post-surgical complications
- Having authored more than 60 peer-reviewed studies, published multiple gastroenterology society guidelines, and consistently voted amongst California’s Top Doctors, Dr. Watson has a wealth of expertise in advanced endoscopic procedures
- Dr. Watson received his M.D. from UC Davis, graduating with honors
- He completed his residency in internal medicine and fellowship in gastroenterology at UCSF
- Dr. Watson then completed additional fellowship training in advanced endoscopy and bariatric endoscopy under the mentorship of Dr. Chris Thompson at the Harvard Hospitals (Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women’s Hospital)
- Prior to serving as Director of Bariatric Endoscopy at CPMC, Dr. Watson was the director of advanced endoscopy training and an Assistant Professor of Medicine at UCLA
The Use of the Overstitch for Bariatric Weight Loss. Watson RR.Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am.
Endoscopic devices and techniques for the management of bariatric surgical adverse events (with videos). Schulman AR*, Watson RR*, Abu Dayyeh BK, Bhutani MS, Chandrasekhara V, Jirapinyo P, Krishnan K, Kumta NA, Melson J, Pannala R, Parsi MA, Trikudanathan G, Trindade AJ, Maple JT, Lichtenstein DR. Gastrointest Endosc.
Endoscopic full-thickness suturing plus argon plasma mucosal coagulation versus argon plasma mucosal coagulation alone for weight regain after gastric bypass: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Jaruvongvanich V, Vantanasiri K, Laoveeravat P, Matar RH, Vargas EJ, Maselli DB, Alkhatry M, Fayad L, Kumbhari V, Fittipaldi-Fernandez RJ, Hollenbach M, Watson RR, Gustavo de Quadros L, Galvao Neto M, Aepli P, Staudenmann D, Brunaldi VO, Storm AC, Martin JA, Gomez V, Abu Dayyeh BK. Gastrointest Endosc.
Endoscopic Bariatric Therapies. Goyal D, Watson RR. Curr Gastroenterol Rep.
EUS-guided transgastric upper GI series for the evaluation of the defunctionalized stomach after gastric bypass. Watson RR, Braver JM, Thompson CC.Gastrointest Endosc.
Use of a novel endoscopic suturing device to treat recalcitrant marginal ulceration (with video). Jirapinyo P, Watson RR, Thompson CC. Gastrointest Endosc.
Biliary and pancreatic lithotripsy devices. ASGE Technology Committee, Watson RR, Parsi MA, Aslanian HR, Goodman AJ, Lichtenstein DR, Melson J, Navaneethan U, Pannala R, Sethi A, Sullivan SA, Thosani NC, Trikudanathan G, Trindade AJ, Maple JT. VideoGIE
Endoscopic ultrasound-guided gastroenterostomy versus open surgical gastrojejunostomy: clinical outcomes and cost effectiveness analysis. Kouanda A, Binmoeller K, Hamerski C, Nett A, Bernabe J, Watson R. Surg Endosc
Artificial intelligence in gastrointestinal endoscopy. Pannala R, Krishnan K, Melson J, Parsi MA, Schulman AR, Sullivan S, Trikudanathan G, Trindade AJ, Watson RR, Maple JT, Lichtenstein DR. VideoGIE.
Thiruvengadam NR, Hamerski C, Nett A, Bhat Y, Shah J, Bernabe J, Kane S, Binmoeller K, Watson RR. EndoscopyYield and performance characteristics of endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration for diagnosing upper GI tract stromal tumors. Watson RR, Binmoeller KF, Hamerski CM, Shergill AK, Shaw RE, Jaffee IM, Stewart L, Shah JN. Dig Dis Sci.